The Bengal Beat

The Student News Site of Lucy Beckham High School

The Bengal Beat

The Bengal Beat

A Day in the Life of a Canadian High School Student: Navigating a Catholic Private School

“Some grade 10 was running from the cops and my obese principal ran after him”, states Braylen, a 17-year-old Junior attending a Catholic private school in Canada. His day kicks off at 9:05 AM with announcements, followed by four 75-minute periods. “Lunch is a brief escape”, Braylen explains, starting at 11:37, and lasting 30 minutes, while the final bell rings at 2:53. Braylen finally heads home, catching the bus at 3:05. For Braylen and his friends, getting to school is a big factor of their day. “We live out of town from our school”, says Braylen. Three of his friends take the bus, while one walks, revealing the impact of living farther away on their routine.

A big difference in Canada is the lack of middle school in some Canadian provinces, Braylen says it’s a significant change to go between the two. Fellow students might initially want to stay in elementary school unless they enjoy challenges, as high school demands more academically and emotionally. Despite these fundamental differences, the similarities we share with Braylen’s school life are clear. There are varying workloads based on the teacher’s style of learning, “some teachers are easygoing, and some love to hand out 10 assignments at once. They’re big on independence, especially your responsibility to get work done on time”.

Being a part of a strict rule set also means mandated uniforms for the students. Braylen mentions the want among his peers to be allowed to wear at least a personal sweater yet the dress code remains the same. When asked about his most memorable moment he describes a chase between the school officers, principal, and sophomore with drugs. Braylen notes that many kids attend Catholic school due to their parents’ religious beliefs and faith isn’t a driving force for all students, especially those involved in drug use.

Braylen goes on to acknowledge the value of his personal education and friendships at school. However, he details the challenge of getting community hours and passing exams like the OSSLT. Similar to our SAT, the OSSLT is a mandated English test for Juniors in Canada. The stress and pressure to meet graduation requirements set by teachers, causes Braylen to wish for graduation soon.