The Bengal Beat

The Student News Site of Lucy Beckham High School

The Bengal Beat

The Bengal Beat

Mock Trial Club: Cracking the Case

Kennedy at regionals in Georgetown

Kennedy Pierce is a part of the mock trial club at Lucy Beckham High School. A mock trial is a competition in which students simulate a real-life trial. The mock trial takes place In Ms. Graham’s room after school on Mondays and Wednesdays. Kennedy first got into mock trial in the eighth grade, and now she is a ninth grader as the prosecution attorney. She first got interested in law because her grandfather was a lawyer, and she has now taken after him because she wants to pursue a career in law. Some skills she has learned to be successful in mock trials are that you can’t be shy, you need to be loud, and you need to gather all the information. Before a trial, a lot of information needs to be memorized, so Kennedy makes flashcards to prepare. To stay calm while under pressure during a trial, she always has the mindset that this is fun and to enjoy it. When asked to answer a challenging case and how you approached it, Kennedy responded, “When I was in 8th grade, there was no concrete evidence on the case, so I just tried to use the information I had.” Her most significant achievement was in 8th grade when she got the best attorney because she gave the opening statements and spoke the most out of all the people she was working with. Kennedy’s favorite thing about joining a mock trial is meeting new people who enjoy the club as much as she does. Mock Trial is an underrated group and should be more popular because it is excellent for college scholarships, sublime for going into law, meeting new people, and fun.